It’s the start of Summer in the Northern Hemisphere, Winter if you’re south of the Equator. The image below was rendered in Catfood Earth.
(Updated 2011-07-09: WebCamSaver 3.10 has now been released. Thanks for all the great feedback!)
The next release of WebCamSaver is now in beta. As usual I’m handing out free licenses to anyone who provides feedback. This time there’s a twist – you’ll get a license for yourself and a license to give to a friend. To qualify all you need to do is install the beta and then leave a comment on this post. You can ask for a feature, report a bug or just let me know what you like or hate about WebCamSaver. This offer expires once WebCamSaver 3.10 is released.
- Download Catfood WebCamSaver 3.10 Beta
The beta currently adds proxy server support, fixes several bugs related to the webcam list in WebCamSaver settings and allows the webcam list to be sorted by description, time zone or the date that the webcam was added. This first beta release is version 3.10.0087.
I’ll update this post as the beta is updated. Check back here, or subscribe to comments to get notified when new versions are made available.
(Updated 2011-06-30: Beta updated to 3.10.0105. Major directory overhaul to remove duplicate webcams. Non-integral timezones are now supported.)
(Updated 2011-07-03: Beta updated to 3.10.0160. In four and sixteen cam modes each webcam now updates simultaneously. You can also jump from the screensaver to the webpage for a cam — hold down any key and then use the mouse to click on the cam you'd like to open.)
Catfood Earth 3.10 is now available for download. Thanks to everyone who took part in the beta.
Earth 3.10 is a free upgrade for existing Earth (or Desktate) customers. If you haven’t tried Earth yet 3.10 now includes a longer 30 day trial.
New features and bug fixes:
- You can now rotate the image so that a specific time or longitude is at the center of the screen. If you choose a time then the Earth map will move slowly across the screen. For a longitude the map remains fixed and the terminator between day and night moves.
- A screensaver is now included that displays the current desktop image.
- A new layer shows volcanoes that have new activity in the past week. The layer uses data from the Smithsonian Institution’s Global Volcanism Program.
- You can set a custom size and layout for the desktop image. This is designed for using Earth on a monitor in landscape format to prevent the image from being distorted.
- The time zones layer has been updated with the latest tz data, shows time zones in Greenland and draws the International Date Line.
- Text rendering has been improved so that descriptions (i.e. places, earthquakes, volcanoes) do not overlap between layers. This reduces clutter if you choose to have many layers enabled.
- Earthquakes can now optionally be rendered largest first instead of most recent first. This improves clarity when a large number of quakes are displayed in close proximity.
- The cloud layer does a better job of detecting corrupt downloads. If a corrupt image is found the update is skipped. This is a big improvement as bad downloads in previous versions caused a glitchy display for several hours until the next update.
- Proxy servers are now supported.
- A bug in the time zones layer has been fixed that could cause either a crash or a failure to render any time zones.
- An occasional crash saving settings has been fixed.
- The option to not run Earth at system startup has been fixed. The option had no effect in 3.00.
Since I shipped the first version of PdfScan I’ve become something of a paperless office freak. I use it to capture bills, receipts, tax documents and anything else that used to clutter up endless box files. Combined with SugarSync all my scanned documents are sent to the cloud and, should the need arise, I can peruse old gas bills from my phone.
1.10 has a new option that lets you choose if PdfScan closes after you save a PDF. This had really started to bug me when scanning through a pile of documents (the original always closed after saving). 1.10 also stores your most recent paper size and ADF selections for good measure.
Download PdfScan 1.10.