Catfood WebCamSaver 3.10 is now available for download. Thanks to everyone who participated in the beta.
3.10 is a free upgrade for existing customers. There are quite a few new features and bug fixes:
- The WebCam Directory has been completely overhauled. Many duplicate WebCams have been removed, and you can browse by country as well as from the complete list. Each WebCam page now includes a feedback form, so if you spot a bad location or timezone it’s easy to let me know and the quality of the directory can be improved for everyone who uses WebCamSaver. I’m also in the process of adding time lapse videos for each WebCam. It will take some time to complete this project. You can see the new videos as they get added on the Catfood Software YouTube channel.
- When displaying 4 or 16 webcams updates now occur simultaneously. This improves both the startup time and the viewing experience.
- You can now jump to the directory page for a WebCam directly from the screensaver. Just press and hold down any key and then click on the WebCam using your mouse. WebCamSaver will exit and the directory page will open in your web browser. If you’ve added custom locations this feature will open the image page instead of the directory.
- The WebCam list in WebCamSaver Settings is now fully sortable and includes new columns for the country and the directory ID. There is also a new option to display the directory ID for each cam when the screensaver is running. This makes it easier to exclude locations that you don’t want to see.
- WebCamSaver now supports proxy servers.
- Non-integral time zones are now supported (i.e. UTC + 9:30 in Australia).
- Several bugs have been fixed in WebCamSaver Settings, including deleting a single WebCam and a failure to import some WebCam lists. I’ve also fixed a crash on startup that was affecting some users and moved the location of the file that stores the settings as this has also caused some problems in previous versions.
If you’re an existing WebCamSaver user I hope you enjoy the new version. If you haven’t used WebCamSaver check out the first bit of feedback on the beta and then give it a try:
“What can I say? This isn't just the best screensaver ever, it's one of the best life essentials ever. When I first discovered the magic of the Liveview webcams, I was delighted. It was like being able to visit awesome locations from may armchair. So when I found a screensaver that could act like a window on these wonderful places, I was in Heaven. Seriously, I don't understand why some people are happy to let a line bounce around their monitor in its downtime when it could be beaming in scenes of bustling French squares, chilly ski-lifts and far-flung Tokyo neon signs.” – James